[NetBehaviour] Residency Responses number 2

rich white counterwork at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 00:35:26 CEST 2005

jason and netbehaviourists

flash, like any tool, can be used very well or very badly. and sometimes
too well. people very often get carried away with making things fade
in/out, glide gently, bob around and react in 'physics' type ways for
absolutely no reason other than that they can.

what strikes me about jason's use of flash is that it seems completely
unapologetic. it is no nonsense. it screams 'FLASH' but it doesn't
matter because it isn't pretending that it is anything other than a
piece of work made with flash.
I like this simplicity. it is also reflected in the interfaces: buttons
are boxes or circles, arrows are often hand-drawn with the mouse. it
feels like a very honest approach to creating works, without fiddling
around, just making use of the essentials - what needs to be there? what
does it need to do? does it do it? yes! job done. this approach brings
it's own aesthetic quality.

I often feel that flash has been given a bad start by being called flash
- it's like naming your son champ and then forcing him to be a boxer. he
may be good at boxing? he may even win? but deep down aren't you
thinking 'what else could he do?'

rich
http://www.counterwork.co.uk