[NetBehaviour] Residency Responses number 2

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Jul 1 01:37:23 CEST 2005

Hi Rich, Jason & Netbehaviourists,

Let me just say that this example used shining more light on your
statement (below) is very funny - and very well put.

 >I often feel that flash has been given a bad start by being called flash
- it's like naming your son champ and then forcing him to be a boxer. he
may be good at boxing? he may even win? but deep down aren't you
thinking 'what else could he do?'

And these words "but deep down aren't you thinkin what else could he
do?" are very astute.

I think that one thing that we can easily forget here, is that doing a
residency on this list - demands a certain degree of performance. Which
could actually have a lot to do with time. Because things are changing
all the time on this list, continuing emails, discussions, news and
postings, instant mailing creates a kind of rhythm, it is moving all of
the time, and this could have some influence on the way that we perceive
any residency on this list, for the work is not a static object or
seperate from other things - like on a wall in a gallery, or a gallery
context. It just so happens to be meshed between various, networked
rhythms - due to the nature of the type of work that it is, as in - on
the Internet, and also the fact that people are viewing the work in the
context of it being part of a residency.

 >what strikes me about jason's use of flash is that it seems completely
unapologetic. it is no nonsense. it screams 'FLASH' but it doesn't
matter because it isn't pretending that it is anything other than a
piece of work made with flash.

Again, well communicated. And I think that this needed to be said...

 >I like this simplicity. it is also reflected in the interfaces: buttons
are boxes or circles, arrows are often hand-drawn with the mouse. it
feels like a very honest approach to creating works, without fiddling
around, just making use of the essentials - what needs to be there? what
does it need to do? does it do it? yes! job done. this approach brings
it's own aesthetic quality.

To answer this is not easy - because I agree with the sentiment.
Although I do not think that anyone is expecting Jason's way of working,
or his work to conform or fit into their own specific criteria. What
makes a residency such as this interesting, is viewing and seeing how
other people's differnt ways of working, enlightens our own practice or
way of understanding art in larger context. I think that a lot of all
this is about learning, and questions are coming from a place of
authentic interest rather than trying to pick on someone...if this was
the case, I feel that the language would be more agressive on here
generally, and it isn't.

Enquiry into another's work can sometimes touch on things that the
artist themselves might possibly feel is being rude or missing the
point. Yet, we are meant to be discussing the work created here - not to
just look at the work and say right - that's it. This act kind of
defeats the object of having a residency and opening it up for
discussion really.

marc