[NetBehaviour] a little shit collaboration

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jul 12 00:52:50 CEST 2005

Hi all Netbehaviourists,

Let's hope everyone has a sense of humour here...

Just because one individual has declared that they do not like the
project - just means that one person does not like the project - which
to be honest, is actually not a bad ratio at all, if you compare it to
the rest of the list's active, collaborative involvement.

I thank Leon for posting to the list accidentally, although his wording
could of been a little cuter. It did make me laugh and I think that we
would be taking things a little too seriously if we started to fall into
a pub brawl. I am proposing that we take the opportunity to move on from
such a limited dialogue, and discuss what is currently happening with
the residency.

Leon has highlighted to me, that nothing has actually been written
contextually or critically yet about the work here - yet there has been
an abundance of creative collaboration, which is quite interesting in
its own right. I have been meaning to write something regarding the
work, the collaborative elements and various aspects of the residency.
So this is my perfect chance, and anyone else's to do so :-)

Comments on the 'Joint Picture Generation (JPG)/The Composite Image
Challenge'.

Personally - I think that Rich White's Residency on Netbehaviour has
already reached an pivotal phase, even after just a few days. Especially
with Sim's recent contributions.

http://www.soy.de/~netbehaviour/jpg_bcast_res_rich-white/bcast.swf
<script language=JavaScript
src="http://www.soy.de/~netbehaviour/jpg_bcast_res_rich-white/bcast_javascript_out.php?w=500&h=375"></script>
They are both using Flash - I reckon Javascripting outside Flash this is
also an option as well.

In Rich's own personal statement for the residency he says "An initial
image is posted by the artist. List members then work on/in/over the
image and post it back. The artist then creates a composite of all list
member submissions, works on/in/over this image and posts it back to the
list. This process repeats until the end of the residency".

Now above this statement (on the residency page -
http://www.netbehaviour.org/resident_artists/rich.htm) which merely
declares Rich's activity or function of the residency, he then says that
he is "interested in how art becomes valuable, why it has meaning, and
where this meaning and value comes from.."

I think that this statement is significant in respect of the 'behaviour'
of the current residency itself. Something is at work here that is
touching people, and communicating to many of the Netbehaviour users. It
has for some reason encouraged many who normally lurk on the list to
declare themselves via a creative process, to express themselves as part
of a collaboration. This activity reflects Rich's statement. It has
successfully exposed an alternative value to the creation of art through
the process of collaboration within a list context and platform. This
shows that 'worth or value' can be, in the collaborative sense,
discovered in the act of participation and can become a creative
currency that bypasses monetary transaction and the usual communication
of text.

With Sim seizing the moment and instictively turning the static images
into animation that were made/altered by contributors who originally did
not know that their participative work would also be used in this way,
creates a shift, a new directory in the (small) evolution of things for
this residency. Most films or animations when source materail is made,
are done by people who usually are aware of the outcome, or at least
know where the direction of their contributions are heading.

There are levels to this residency that are working in subtle ways, that
may not immediately be appreciated for it works purely on the process of
time and change, and not very fast - which is no bad thing. I do not see
that the images themselves, as only the part of the artwork - I see that
a large part of the work is actually the collaboration itself, and all
the words that are mentioned about it on enails. Rich started the
project beginning with a straight forward concept, but it has become
bigger, now micro and macro, and networked...

marc