[NetBehaviour] God's Little Toys

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Jul 13 10:54:33 CEST 2005

*God's Little Toys*

Confessions of a cut & paste artist.
By William Gibson

When I was 13, in 1961, I surreptitiously purchased an anthology of Beat
writing - sensing, correctly, that my mother wouldn't approve.

Immediately, and to my very great excitement, I discovered Allen
Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, and one William S. Burroughs - author of
something called Naked Lunch, excerpted there in all its coruscating
brilliance.

Burroughs was then as radical a literary man as the world had to offer,
and in my opinion, he still holds the title. Nothing, in all my
experience of literature since, has ever been quite as remarkable for
me, and nothing has ever had as strong an effect on my sense of the
sheer possibilities of writing.

Later, attempting to understand this impact, I discovered that Burroughs
had incorporated snippets of other writers' texts into his work, an
action I knew my teachers would have called plagiarism. Some of these
borrowings had been lifted from American science fiction of the '40s and
'50s, adding a secondary shock of recognition for me.

By then I knew that this "cut-up method," as Burroughs called it, was
central to whatever it was he thought he was doing, and that he quite
literally believed it to be akin to magic. When he wrote about his
process, the hairs on my neck stood up, so palpable was the excitement.
Experiments with audiotape inspired him in a similar vein: "God's little
toy," his friend Brion Gysin called their reel-to-reel machine.

more...
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/gibson.html