[NetBehaviour] a little hit collaboration

Michael Szpakowski szpako at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 13:46:29 CEST 2005

< I'd like to know how others feel about this aspect
 of the project? do
 you feel like you have collaborated, or merely been
 included?>
I don't think you should worry too much about how *we
feel* - I mean,we're all grown ups & its an
interesting little collab - and anyone who thinks that
an artistic collab that's worthwhile can be entirely
and simplemindedly egalitarian should get out more..of
course one sometimes struggles for more control in a
collab just as one might voluntarily *cede* some
control in a collab to see where it goes. Its not
politics nor is it life and death.
What I do find interesting is the dynamic of the
structure you've set up - as a participant it does
feel quite strange.. firstly the thing gives the
participant stimulus and licence to make something (
and I was quite sparked here -I spent a fun two hours
in the real world with paint and glue and things..)and
thus far there is the same sense of delight in making
that comes with exquisite corpse type projects.. but
then your "cutting back", editing, role in the
project, which has an almost combative feel, comes
into play -its as if you are firefighting the
increasingly varied stratagems for asserting their
individual creativity that contributors come up with.
Then, its as if we examine each new contribution from
you for its *absences* and somehow as if the art of
your residency inheres to a great extent in the act of
deletion , of omission..
( Who was it who did the rubbing out exercise on a
drawing... Can't immediately call them to mind.)
What's also interesting is that there is than in turn,
a counter tendency set up amongst participants to
*affirm* their presence- the filmic sequence of the
work, the "perversity" factor where we wilfully
stretch your criteria or where there is a very strong
individual, almost "fuck you" ( in the nicest possible
sense, natch) feel to folk's pieces -something I
detect in annie and marc's jpegs today and joseph's
wine glass job of a couple of days back...
So, far from being simplistic or banale, I think there
is much real nourishment here, as indeed there has
been with the previous residencies. Long may they
continue.
michael

http://www.somedancersandmusicians.com/

'Everything is connected.' - V.I.Lenin

'..and always let your unconscious be your guide.' - J.Cricket

'Repetition, it's so fantastic, so anti-glop'- attrib. Lou Reed