[NetBehaviour] a little hit collaboration

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Jul 13 19:14:39 CEST 2005

Hi Rich,

I wonder if you could expand more regarding 'deleting things', as you
mentioned. Much of your work involves this process.

Which of course comes from a different place I believe that the singular
art 'act' refered to by Michael, which I believe was by the artist
Robert Rauschenberg erasing a drawing by Willem de Kooning.

Deletion is definately fascinating if one explores it from a
psychological angle; for deletion of memory is a function that takes
place in all of us to some degree. The conscious decision to reside
within the visual perameters of abstraction, also suggests that one
prefers a sense of the other. Snow blankets our localities it smothers,
and at least for a while deletes temorarily what was there before. The
blanketing of a gap, is actually quite existential, and presumably does
not alude to any purity in the classical sense  - yet may be the act of
deleting itself, the process and not just its visual narrative explains
where you are coming from. For the act of deletion is the act of rubbing
out, a creative form of elimination.

So what are you deleting? Everything, and if so why?

I do not wish to impose any tyrannical idea onto your own narrative(s),
vision(s), so may be let us know how and why this process of working
came about...

marc