[NetBehaviour] Digital Needle - A Virtual Gramophone.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jul 19 12:53:56 CEST 2005

*Digital Needle - A Virtual Gramophone.*

Remember those flat round things you may have found lying around the
house. Those that never really worked well as flying saucers? Well, the
other day I happenned to have a good look at one through a magnifying
glass. I was able to discern something waveform'esqe in the shape of the
grooves. I thought, "groovy, there must be a way to extract something
sensible off of that" (actual thought quoted). At which point I came up
with some great excuses ^H^H^H^H reasons to have a go:

A) These round objects could have some archeological value.
B) I could waste some time.

Happily convinced by these, I tried to recall an old legend I once heard
concerning these objects. This legend being of technological nature,
entaled a diamond needle that would vibrate when placed atop the
revolving flat things, these vibrations, when amplified would produce music.

Here are the few nearly-intelligible decodings that I managed to recover
off of the inner tracks of Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons".

Listening to the following reference recording might allow you to
recognize these as the music-within-noise they actually are!!! (I guess
a highly imaginative listener is required too).

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/%7Espringer/