[NetBehaviour] Spud - A Potato-Powered Web Server

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Jul 19 13:04:21 CEST 2005

*Spud - A Potato-Powered Web Server*

This is an actual potato-powered Web server, currently online here.
After the great SpudServer joke, I thought it would be interesting to
see what an actual server capable of running on potatoes would look
like. This server is very, very slow (around 0.2 hits/second), so you
may have trouble connecting.

The CPU is a Microchip PIC16F876 running with a 76.8 KHz clock and a
nominal 1.5V supply voltage (somewhat outside the manufacturer's
specifications). At this speed and voltage, it draws 20 microWatts
(0.00002 Watts), or roughly 100,000th to 1 millionth the power of any
Intel 386 board I know of. It connects via SLIP at 4800 baud.

Every 5 minutes or so, a PC measures the voltage, current, and power
output of the potato battery and sends the values in a small UDP packet
to the server. The server then updates some internal RAM variables which
are displayed as part of its home page. So you can watch the potatoes
discharge (kind of like watching corn grow). I have no idea how long the
battery will last. The server will fail when the voltage drops below
about 1.35V.

http://d116.com/spud/