[NetBehaviour] RE:activism: call for submissions.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun May 15 19:29:36 CEST 2005

*RE:activism: call for submissions.*

The Budapest University of Technology and Economics ,

the Central European University ,

the Open Society Institute , and

the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania

is proud to present a conference on
RE:activism: Re-drawing the boundaries of activism in a new media
environment

which is to take place in Budapest, October 14-15, 2005

Re:activism will focus on two closely connected subjects. On the first
day, we gather to discuss the new dynamics of culture production.
Digital networks allow the large scale cooperation of individuals with
diverse motivational backgrounds. This cooperation often results in
globally competitive ideas, (software) products, (social) services.
Ad-hoc activist, expert networks can only consolidate themselves if the
necessary legal, economic and technological frameworks are created or
emerge from local interactions. We research into the political economy
of peer production networks and examine how regulation in a
post-Westphalian order can integrate these networks. We also discuss the
potential conflicts between peer networks and contemporary social,
economic, and legal institutions and examine how tradition emerges
through open archives documenting these conflicts.

On the second day we offer a layered approach to activism when we
examine activist practices and civic action groups in urban, local and
global contexts. The general title of the day: Local and global activism
in the context of new media covers the analysis of anti-globalization
activist networks who often use the urban fabric as a battleground for
their causes. We also try to grasp the conceptual framework that helps
describing the emergence of local civic engagement and the civic uses of
new media technologies. The special case of democratic elections also
provide us the opportunity to dive into the forces that change
contemporary political systems.

The conference is organized around altogether eight topics. Each day we
have a morning session of keynote lecture by a lead researcher, we have
three sessions of academic discourse, where distinguished researchers
can present their work and have four panels in the afternoon with
academic researchers, activists, artist who work in the field to share
their values, evaluations, findings and proposals to each other.

The aim of the conference is to open up an open field of communication
between academics and practitioners, eastern and western, European and
North-American, groups and individuals all immersed in the field of
activism.

About the Conference
CALL FOR PAPERS

http://www.re-activism.net/