[NetBehaviour] LEA Special Issue: Wild Nature and the Digital Life

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon May 16 18:00:57 CEST 2005

*LEA Special Issue: Wild Nature and the Digital Life *

** Worldwide Call for Submissions *
Guest Editors: Sue Thomas and Dene Grigar *

digitalwild at astn.net
http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-journals/LEA/LEA2004/authors.htm#digiwild

The Leonardo Electronic Almanac (ISSN No: 1071-4391) is inviting  papers
[and artworks] themed around Wild Nature and the Digital  Life.

Wild nature has traditionally been perceived as the preserve of the
physical world and may seem to have little to do with the abstract
spaces of the digital. But what can be described as "wild nature" at a
time when much of the earth's land is being annexed by cities, brought
into production, and turned into tourist meccas or eco-excursions?  How
are humans reinventing "the wild" digitally?   What is the relationship
between humans and wild nature, and has it changed with the advent of
the computer technology? Is the notion of wild nature limited to the
physical world, and if not, then where else can we find it? How do those
who are most immersed in the digital integrate it with the physical?

While a critical response to these questions is highly encouraged, we
are equally interested in the wide-angle view and in the intimate.
Specifically, we welcome essays, interviews, reports and other genres of
writing that speak to the ways in which we reconcile and integrate the
relationship between wild nature and the digital life; that address the
part that wild nature plays in our work; looks at the ways the
functionality of our body in the digital compares with the way it works
in the mountains, in the ocean, or other physical spaces; and explores
the changes that the wired life has brought about to our domestic and
professional habitat, how it may have changed our health, or shifted our
understanding of ecosystems and of other species on this planet and
elsewhere.

Topics of interest might include (but are not limited to):

- Projects combining art and natural history

- Art and nature collaborations

- Telematics and consciousness

- Historical context

- Connectedness studies

- Embodiment theory

- Emergence studies

- Anthropology and social networks

- Ecology and the environment

- Natural magic and spirituality

The twin conceptual territories of bits and atoms are closer than they
may at first seem. This call invites papers and works that explore ways
in which the wired sensibility has led us full circle towards an
enhanced engagement with wild nature.

LEA encourages international artists / academics / researchers /
students / practitioners / theorists to submit their proposals for
consideration. We particularly encourage authors outside North America
and Europe to send proposals for essays / artists statements.

As part of this special, LEA is looking to publish:

- Critical Essays

- Artist Statement/works in the LEA Gallery

- Bibliographies (a peer reviewed bibliography with key

texts/references in Digital Life)

- Academic Curriculum (LEA encourages academics conducting course

programmes in this area to contact us)

Expressions of interest and outline should include:

- A brief description of proposed text (300 words)

- A brief author biography

- Any related URLs

- Contact details

In the subject heading of the email message, please use "Name of
Artist/Project Title: LEA Wild Nature and Digital Life - Date
Submitted". Please cut and paste all text into body of email (without
attachments). Detailed editorial guidelines at:
http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-journals/LEA/submit

Deadline for expressions of interest: 8 July 2005

Timeline (please note the timeline is subject to changes)

8 July 2005 - submission of abstracts

22 July 2005 - short-listed candidates informed

2 September 2005 - contributors to submit full papers for peer review

3 - 30 September 2005 - Peer Review Process

1 - 21 October 2005 - Authors to make changes

November 2005 - Ready to publish papers

Please send proposals or queries to:

Sue Thomas and Dene Grigar

digitalwild at astn.net