[NetBehaviour] The Art & Science of Billboard Improvement

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue May 31 12:41:13 CEST 2005

*The Art & Science of Billboard Improvement
a comprehensive guide to the alteration of outdoor advertising*

Look up! Billboards have become as ubiquitous as human suffering, as
difficult to ignore as a beggar's outstretched fist. Every time you
leave your couch or cubicle, momentarily severing the electronic
umbilicus, you enter the realm of their impressions. Larger than life,
subtle as war, they assault your senses with a complex coda of
commercial instructions, the messenger RNA of capitalism. Every time you
get in a car, or ride a bus, or witness a sporting event, you receive
their instructions. You can't run and you can't hide, because your
getaway route is lined to the horizon with signs, and your hidey-hole
has a panoramic view of an 8-sheet poster panel.

There are a million stories in the Big City, and as many reasons to want
to hack a billboard. We have our reasons, and we don't presume to judge
yours. In this manual, we have made a conscious effort to steer clear of
ideology and stick to methodology. The procedures outlined here are
based on our 20+ years' experience executing billboard improvements
professionally, safely, and (knock wood) without injury or arrest. In
most cases, is should not be necessary to follow the elaborate, even
obsessive precautions we outline here. A can of spray paint, a blithe
spirit, and a balmy night are all your really need.

more...

http://www.billboardliberation.com/guidebook.html