[NetBehaviour] Humans++

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Nov 2 13:26:58 CET 2005

*Humans++*

Beyond Human. "Abandoning your own world for a made-up one is an ever
larger part of adult life. For the futurist Ray Kurzweil, this is only
the beginning. According to his new book "The Singularity Is Near," we
are approaching the age of "full-immersion virtual-reality." Thanks to
innovations in genetics, nanotechnology and robotics, you'll be able to
design your own mental habitat. You'll be able to sleep with your
favorite movie star - in your head. (It is not lost on Kurzweil that you
can already do that, but he insists it will be really, really
realistic.) Those same technologies will help us "overcome our genetic
heritage," live longer and become smarter. We'll learn how brains
operate and devise computers that function like them. Then the barrier
between our minds and our computers will disappear. The part of our
memory that is literally downloaded will grow until "the nonbiological
portion of our intelligence will predominate.""

http://www.byz.org/~rbanks/movableType/webLog/trends/archives/003540.html