[NetBehaviour] On the BBC Annotatable Audio project...

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun Nov 13 14:06:25 CET 2005

*On the BBC Annotatable Audio project...*

Posted October 28, 2005 02:59 PM.

A weblog by Tom Coates, mysterious horseman of the dark savannah
Concerning social software, mass-amateurisation, design, and future
media You can subscribe to an RSS feed, read the disclaimer or explore
the archives.

This post concerns an experimental internal-BBC-only project designed to
allow users to collectively describe, segment and annotate audio in a
Wikipedia-style fashion. It was developed by the BBC Radio & Music
Interactive R&D team - for this project consisting of myself, Tristan
Ferne, Chris Bowley, Helen Crowe, Paul Clifford and Bronwyn Van Der
Merwe. Although the project is a BBC project, all the speculation and
theorising around the edges is my own and does not necessarily represent
the opinion of my department or the BBC in general.

It's officially my last day at the BBC today, but with the permission of
my outgoing boss Mr Daniel Hill I'm going to make the very best use of
it by talking about a project that we've been working on for the last
few weeks. I consider it one of the most exciting projects I've ever
worked on, and BBC Radio & Music Interactive one of the only places in
the world where I would have been able to have done so.

more...
http://www.plasticbag.org/archives/2005/10/on_the_bbc_annotatable_audio_project.shtml