[NetBehaviour] Kids Living in "Connected Cocoons"

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun Nov 13 14:08:38 CET 2005

Kids Living in "Connected Cocoons"

Back when I was growing up (the Stone Age), any teen who spend hour upon
hour locked away in his room would have been considered extremely -- and
perhaps dangerously -- antisocial. That's hardly the case anymore, as
the average teen's room is now a hub of digital activity, and the portal
through which he stays connected with his friends and personal interests.

In trying to get a handle on its core audience of 16-to-24-year-olds,
the music channel MTV has dubbed this practice "connected cocooning."
While they physically might not be out and about as much as previous
generations of teens, today's "MTV generation" can connect to more
people than every before through the Internet and an array of devices.
Today's teens can network with peers throughout the world, and have
access to information (music, games, movies, trends, etc.) that my
generation could only dream about.

more...
http://futurewire.blogspot.com/2005/11/kids-living-in-connected-cocoons.html