[NetBehaviour] Do You See What I Want You to See?

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Nov 14 03:05:55 CET 2005

Do You See What I Want You to See?
The Effects of Motion and Spatial Layout on Viewers' Perceptions of
Graph Structure.

Cathleen McGrath.
Jim Blythe.

ABSTRACT: In this study, we explore the combined effects of layout and
motion on viewers' perceptions of social network data. We ask viewers to
interpret the overall network and we ask domain specific questions about
managing change within a departmental team to understand how network
display influences viewers' overall perception of networks. We find that
motion has a positive effect on the accuracy of viewers' perceptions of
change in status from formal to informal networks. We also find no main
effect for hierarchical versus spatially central layout on viewers'
accuracy. There is a significant interaction effect of motion and graph
layout on viewers perception of change. Finally, we find that when
viewers are asked to make interpretations of the overall graph, they
bring their own pre-existing graphical vocabulary that may influence
their interpretation.

1 Introduction

Visualizations can be powerful tools for exploring network data and
communicating their properties. Advances in the field of network
visualization have allowed more people to create ever more sophisticated
visual displays of network data. Freeman (2000) traces the history of
visual display of network data. Moody et al. (forthcoming) present
techniques for using dynamic network visualizations to communicate
temporal change in social networks. As in the general field of data
display, the display of network data presents many options and
opportunities for communicating information about social structure.
Individuals who wish to use network visualizations to communicate
information about organizations and even to change those organizations
have a range of options to choose from, including motion, 3-dimensional
layouts, and user interaction.

more...
http://www.cmu.edu/joss/content/articles/volume5/McGrathBlythe/