[NetBehaviour] Boycott Sony

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Nov 17 01:18:53 CET 2005

Boycott Sony

By Dan Goodin

After weeks of criticism, Sony has finally agreed to temporarily stand
down on an abusive and likely illegal copy -restriction practice. Hold
the applause.

On Friday, the world's second-biggest record label pledged to
temporarily stop making CDs that leave computers vulnerable to security
breaches. This is a step in the right direction, but it does not go
nearly far enough toward correcting a serious ethical lapse. In fact, it
is proof positive that Sony is unworthy of our trust or our business.

A lot has been written about this issue already. But a lot more needs to
be said to ensure Sony gets the message: This kind of behavior can never
be tolerated. It may be unrealistic to think many will heed this call,
but someone’s got to say it: Boycott Sony. Boycott the company until it
comes clean and recalls all the infected CDs. Boycott it until it
distributes a removal program. Boycott it until it promises never to do
anything like this again.

more...
http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,69559,00.html?tw=wn_8culthead