[NetBehaviour] Boycott Sony

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun Nov 20 17:01:15 CET 2005

Hi Carlos,

LOL- typical, one law for those who wish to control and another law for
those who just wanna get on with with their thing.

"The irony of a company using code from someone who circumvented DRM to
develop an even nastier form of DRM - without even saying "Thanks!" -
will surely feature in geek trivia quizzes for years to come.

The British company that developed the DRM software for Sony,
First4Internet Ltd, has included free software code covered by the Free
Software Foundation's LGPL, a cousin of the GPL, amateur sleuths have
discovered."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/18/sony_copyright_infringement/

I also found this somewhere else, wehn someone did a system check on
their comp...

"Last week when I was testing the latest version of RootkitRevealer
(RKR) I ran a scan on one of my systems and was shocked to see evidence
of a rootkit. Rootkits are cloaking technologies that hide files,
Registry keys, and other system objects from diagnostic and security
software, and they are usually employed by malware attempting to keep
their implementation hidden (see my “Unearthing Rootkits” article from
thre June issue of Windows IT Pro Magazine for more information on
rootkits). The RKR results window reported a hidden directory, several
hidden device drivers, and a hidden application:"
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

marc

quote: "Sony's rootkit style DRM software XCP, designed to prevent
copyright infringement, looks like it's breaching the terms of a
copyright agreement itself."