[NetBehaviour] Internet Service to Put Classic TV on Home Computer

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun Nov 20 18:04:27 CET 2005

Hi clemos,

My own personal opinion, is that the Internet is best when people have
the choice to mediate themselves, in respect of the in-put of their
information exchange- and as more corporate ran movies get put on the
Internet, the more there is an excuse to stop other creative outlets
that are less connected to the needs of such businesses. I will paste
various bits of info linked to this as time goes by for all to view....

 >maybe it's a bit naive, but anyway, I prefer to get something freely
and legally, even with a bit of ads (ex: google, tv channels, porn
websites ;) ).

I'm a bit of a situationist at heart, although nituationist at heart,
although not one at the same time, like I would not call myself an
anarchist- but I do respect the ideas and reasons by those who have
written and explored these life-options. So, the spectcle of it all,
unnerves me- makes me wonder what we could be losing here? My own
personal distate towards the encroachment of corporate advertisements,
via its linking with net-based creativity, is not a logical reasoning at
all, just like most people's desiresto be consumed by external
mediations, that numb the mind, is also not logical. All I know here, is
that the more that these 'controlling', 'patent-frenzy' companies get
involved- probably through the back-door of creative industries, then we
have the problem of censorship and copyright on even more of our
(creative) freedoms, that we presently enjoy on the Internet. It stands
to reason that recent debates around 'who owns the Internet', is closely
connected, and needs all of us to acknowledge how much we want to lose
in respect of what we all have now...

The corporations regarding our freedoms are not going to stop pushing,
pushing, pushing- so we need to be aware of, or at least think about- if
we really want to accept it, or if what has been good so far, to
disappear through our fingers. Remember, there has been a rise in
Internet use the last few years and television and film companies have
lost revenue because of this, much of the activism of the past few years
has been using the Internet as a news resource and independent debate-
commercial companies will not tolerate freedom of speech, that in
contrast challenges their 'advertisements for products' once they get a
better grip on whats happening out there.

marc