[NetBehaviour] Examples Please: - human uses of cooperation-enhancing network technology

t tati.xx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 20:28:34 CET 2005

Ruth Catlow wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for this _dream.thick[ener]
> The article you posted by Trebor Schulz, (crude summary - - about the
> slide of technology towards utilitarianism in the service of business
> and its encroachment on playtime), ends with the following.
>
> "Networked technologies do not have to stand for servitude. We can
> imagine  human uses. We can support emerging alternative
> socio-technical networks by reflecting on technologies without
> utopia-glazed eyes. Critiquing the vicious nature of networked,
> neoliberal managers is vitally important. But don't stop there. Don't
> leave the discourse about human uses of cooperation-enhancing tools
> and networking to them (or to them inside of us.)"
>
> He doesn't actually give examples in this article so I'd be interested
> in other NetBehaviourists' suggestions of examples of human uses of
> cooperation-enhancing network technology.
>
> It might be helpful to think about what we mean by human uses-
> perhaps:-
> - persistently antiutillitarian uses
> - raising the proportion of flesh to tech agency (ie the interaction
> is more dependent on the ingenuity of the human input than on the tech)
> - playful
> - subversive
>
> I'll start this thing off. Please add your own
>
> Suggested Example (1): Skint Stream
> http://www.jelliedeel.org/skintstream/
>
> Skint Stream is a network which connects audiences and cultural spaces
> previously separated by economic, geographic and political factors.
> The use of streaming technology over existing infrastructure allows us
> to start a conversation between spaces separated by different types of
> distance. Passing the mic around will allow us to reflect on the
> cultural space each sound is coming from? And will ask questions like:
> is geographic isolation a factor in cultural expression? what does it
> mean to be culturally remote in an electronically networked world? can
> we still think of ourselves as being in margins or centres when
> digital technologies allow us to bridge distances and make our own
> connections? can live, technologically mediated experience ever
> substitute for face-to-face communication?

> Ruth

Example (2) Metareciclagem http://www.metareciclagem.org

Metareciclagem is a methodology for technological re-appropriation. From
building new computers from discarded technology and facing the problems
of eletronic garbage by giving new uses for computer parts, videowalls,
esculptures, painting surfaces, etc, the concept encompasses various
forms of action: the rebirth of donated computers into recycled labs
using free software and the creation of environments through the
Internet where information circulates freely, as well as every type of
experimentation and strategic and operational support for socially
engaged projects. It is a national (brazilian) network with emergent
co-laborative spores.