[NetBehaviour] Morrissey Quizzed by FBI

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Feb 24 18:02:02 CET 2006

Morrissey Quizzed by FBI

Singer Morrissey was quizzed by the FBI and British intelligence after
speaking out against the American and British governments.

The Brit is a famous critic of the US-led war in Iraq and has dubbed
President George W. Bush a "terrorist" - but he was baffled to be hauled
in by authorities.

Morrissey explains, "The FBI and the Special Branch have investigated me
and I've been interviewed and taped and so forth.

"They were trying to determine if I was a threat to the government, and
similarly in England. But it didn't take them very long to realise that
I'm not.

"I don't belong to any political groups, I don't really say anything
unless I'm asked directly and I don't even demonstrate in public. I
always assume that so-called authoritarian figures just assume that
pop/rock music is slightly insane and an untouchable platform for the
working classes to stand up and say something noticeable.

"My view is that neither England or America are democratic societies.
You can't really speak your mind and if you do you're investigated."

contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/morrissey%20quizzed%20by%20fbi_2...

Found on Indymedia
http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2006/02/1724955.php