[NetBehaviour] broken mirror

rich white rich at counterwork.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 19:08:30 CEST 2006

the idea for the project arose from a chance realisation that two
photographs I had taken looked almost like mirror images of each other.
this result got me thinking about the nature of our perception of
similar and symmetrical forms.

as the title implies, one of the two halves that comprise a piece can be
perceived as an imperfect reflection of the other. which is the original
and which is the reflection is a paradox.

my intentions behind the works lie in my interest in the fallibility of
human perception and memory - and through this our ability to perform
value judgements. the visual connections that are made when looking at
the works are intended to allow the viewer to make psychological
connections with, and within, the works, echoing our responses to
recognisable visual stimuli - reflections (or perceived reflections)
offer an 'understanding' feeling for the viewer.

these digital works, the results of experimenting with flash, are an
attempt to get the computer to generate mirror images of
random-generated forms. in some cases the user is able to alter
variables or change one half of the image in the hope of creating a
match, in others the user is only able to regeneate the image.

flash works:
http://www.counterwork.co.uk/brokenmirror/flash.htm

project page:
http://www.counterwork.co.uk/brokenmirror