[NetBehaviour] How Will They Do It? - The End of the Internet.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon May 1 15:39:14 CEST 2006

How Will They Do It? - The End of the Internet.

By Jeff Chester (with editorial comment by Les Blough)
Feb 24, 2006, 13:17

The End of the Internet?
By Jeff Chester

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies are crafting an
alarming set of strategies that would transform the free, open and
nondiscriminatory Internet of today to a privately run and branded
service that would charge a fee for virtually everything we do online.

Verizon, Comcast, Bell South and other communications giants are
developing strategies that would track and store information on our
every move in cyberspace in a vast data-collection and marketing system,
the scope of which could rival the National Security Agency. According
to white papers now being circulated in the cable, telephone and
telecommunications industries, those with the deepest
pockets--corporations, special-interest groups and major
advertisers--would get preferred treatment. Content from these providers
would have first priority on our computer and television screens, while
information seen as undesirable, such as peer-to-peer communications,
could be relegated to a slow lane or simply shut out.

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/article_21223.shtml