[NetBehaviour] SketchUp

Jack Stenner jack at jigglingwhisker.com
Tue May 2 15:30:12 CEST 2006

FYI, if you've used AutoCAD, Maya, or any number of other CAD/3d
software packages, and then try SketchUp, you'll see the benefit.  It
was developed as a quick, sketch-based, way to create form in the
early design stages of the architectural process.  It is VERY popular
with architectural designers because it is a quick and easy way to
visualize 3d ideas before making the commitment to full blown CAD.
It works well for them because once an idea is approved it can be
exported directly to the CAD jockeys, saving time creating geometry
from scratch.  The name is also a by-product of it's use in
architecture.  When presenting concepts to clients, designers found
that CAD renderings presented imagery that looked too "finished."
Clients were reluctant to consider changes and engage in a creative
dialog.  They locked onto the image too soon.  SketchUp has the
capability to produce renderings that simulate a loose sketch,
preserving the preliminary nature of concept design.

I'm sure Google wants to capitalize on it's ease of use and
"popularize" it with homeowners, but it really is a great tool.  I
used it early on as an architect, but more recently have found it
useful as a tool to describe the layouts of installation work.

....and yes, google is scary :-)

Jack