[NetBehaviour] sondheim censored....

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu May 4 13:50:51 CEST 2006

Hi Carlos,

Yes, Google is frightening.

If one types in to - find web pages that contain the term "furtherfield.org"
we get 37,900...

If one types net art - you find furtherfield on page 6, on google.

Which would be fine but, we are really should be higher up to reflect
what we do and the involvement of furtherfield and all the projects. It
really does feel as though we have been censored...

marc

 > quite interesting...
 > a few months ago the austrian art- group "monochrom"  (
http://www.monochrom.at/english/ ) also went down on the google -
index.  altough they had a top ranking (#1 if you were looking for
"monochrom" @  google.com), today the website can be found only on page
10 or something  (to be correct: number 89 in the ranking is a link to a
game (sovjet  unterzoegersdorf) on their website, not to the entrypage).
johannes (one  of the group) told me that a friend of him said monochrom
was somwhere  listed as site with "explicit content", which is simply
not true.

<marc.garrett at furtherfield.org>  wrote:

 >> Hi Leon & Alan,
 >>
 >> Yes - I find it all pretty disturbing. I will be bnack there next
week  and will have a chat with the techies there, to get some info
about  this...

 >> Not just that - furtherfield for some reason has been shoved down
the  google listings, and believe me there are plenty of links out
there  connecting to furtherfield. One of the F-crew found out that it
was  something to do with explicit material on the server (or
somthing),  which there isn't. I have emailed google and have totally
ignored  regarding this. It is worrying...

 >> marc
 >>

 >>> Hi Marc -
 >>>
 >>> Could you possibly look into this and try some other files such as
A4?  This is disturbing; what I don't understand - how do they know the
content? There is a blurred image of breasts, that's all. And "moon"
doesn't give anything away unless someone thinks it has to do with
"mooning". I'd appreciate anything else you could add to this..