[NetBehaviour] Hyperpolis 3.0: Really Useful Media.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu May 4 14:18:37 CEST 2006

Hyperpolis 3.0: Really Useful Media
Call for Papers/Proposals

We know too much about media communications technologies as instruments
of social control.
We don’t know enough about media technologies as instruments of civil
society and cultural development.

We know too much about media discourses as, on the one hand, “popular
culture”: alienated and commodified cultural forms; and on the other,
“cultural theory”: paranoid cosmologies of hyper-rhetoric, and the
ubiquitous inevitability of evil…
We don’t know enough about digital media as something other than a means
to an end, as “instrumental culture”, where culture itself —mainstream,
alternative, underground, or otherwise is degraded to the status of
tools (some hard, some soft, all ware).

Hyperpolis: Really Useful Media will provide a forum for the discussion
and presentation of some positive contributions to the field, in light
of these chronic imbalances.

1 Media practices whose product is an improvement in the integrity and
vitality of the culture and society in which they are embedded.
2 Media practices whose processes are in and of themselves desirable.

Deadline:
June 15th, 2006
Conference and Celebration:
October 20th, 2006
Hosts:
Integrated Digital Media Institute
and Othmer Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies
Polytechnic University, Brooklyn
Info:
idmi.poly.edu
Contact: