[NetBehaviour] . . . . : b l i p : . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue May 9 14:37:35 CEST 2006

. . . . : b l i p : . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

- creative arts, science and technology forum -

- supported by Arts Council England, University of Sussex and University
of Brighton

http://www.blip.me.uk

Apologies for any cross postings but please forward to any interested
parties

Creative Cyborgs

How have computers become an increasingly significant part of our
imaginative and physical being? Come face-to-face with natural born
cyborgs as we explore how computer technology impacts on us and our
creativity.

When: Tuesday 16 may [7pm - 9.30 pm]

Where: The Dana Centre SW7

Entry: Free, but please reserve a place by contacting the Dana centre on
tickets at danacentre.org.uk or phone 0207 9424040.

We have invited a mix of leading artists, musicians and philosophers to
illustrate and discuss the impact of technology on us and our creativity.

Paul Granjon, creator of the 'Cybernetic Parrot Sausage' and 'Sexed
robots', will humorously explore the darker side of our relationship
with technology in Zlab transported; Jazz trumpeter Tom Arthurs and
Ollie Bown (Icarus) will be performing live with new performance
software based on behavioural robotics controllers. Their mix of live
and computer-generated sound provides broad scope for a visual response
from squint and brittski who have developed a visual counterpart to the
duos explorations through a commission from Lighthouse Paras Kaul aka
‘the brain wave chic’ will be demonstrating her use of EEG technologies
in brain wave controlled animation and audio.

There will also be an exhibition of work from the Computational Models
of Creativity in the Arts workshop. Including Woven wall of sound (Tim
Blackwell and Janis Jefferies); Milson Move (Ernest Edmunds); Aikon
(Frederic Fol Leymarie, Patrick Tresset); Deptford.tv (Adnan Hadzi);
Changing Weights (Ron Herrema); Fugue (Gordana Novakovic, Dr. Peter
Bentley, Rainer Linz, Anthony Ruto); and Genophone (James Mandelis)
alongside some work by Paul Brown and footage of the Senster by Nick
Lambert and Catherine Mason.

The technologically-enabled artistic content will be framed by a
specially commissioned film from philosophers Andy Clark, author of
'Natural born cyborgs', and Mike Wheeler discussing the fundamental role
of tools in human behaviour. Clark argues that humans became cyborgs the
moment they picked up their first tool - when he is using a tennis
racket Bjorn Borg is as much a cyborg as the Terminator.
In association with London Centre for Arts and Cultural Enterprise,
Goldsmiths College, Birkbeck College, University of Sussex, the Computer
Arts Society and Lighthouse.

. . alice eldridge . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . alicee at sussex.ac.uk . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . http://www.ecila.org . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .