[NetBehaviour] Why We Published the AT&T Docs

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed May 24 02:01:16 CEST 2006

Why We Published the AT&T Docs.

By Evan Hansen

02:00 AM May, 22, 2006

A file detailing aspects of AT&T's alleged participation in the National
Security Agency's warrantless domestic wiretap operation is sitting in a
San Francisco courthouse. But the public cannot see it because, at
AT&T's insistence, it remains under seal in court records.

The judge in the case has so far denied requests from the Electronic
Frontier Foundation, or EFF, and several news organizations to unseal
the documents and make them public.

AT&T claims information in the file is proprietary and that it would
suffer severe harm if it were released.

Based on what we've seen, Wired News disagrees. In addition, we believe
the public's right to know the full facts in this case outweighs AT&T's
claims to secrecy.

As a result, we are publishing the complete text of a set of documents
from the EFF's primary witness in the case, former AT&T employee and
whistle-blower Mark Klein -- information obtained by investigative
reporter Ryan Singel through an anonymous source close to the
litigation. The documents, available on Wired News as of Monday, consist
of 30 pages, with an affidavit attributed to Klein, eight pages of AT&T
documents marked "proprietary," and several pages of news clippings and
other public information related to government-surveillance issues.

more...
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70947-0.html?tw=wn_technology_1