[NetBehaviour] re: tomb

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Nov 22 16:43:13 CET 2006

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:12:54 +0000
> From: marc <marc.garrett at furtherfield.org>
> Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] tomb
> To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
> 	<netbehaviour at netbehaviour.org>
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> You might have slap my head and curse here, cuz the piece you just
> showed, says enough to me without the accompanying text.
>
> This is not to say that your text is not worthy of reading in its own
> right, because as you know, it is - but the 'this is my tomb.' animation
> piece, does declare a depth to me that reaches and touches upon an
> existential feeling that I can see and know of that eats way from deep
> within...
>
> This gate/door/frame/ is not only a wall - it is also a type of prison,
> a form of containment which is reflective, and signifies how blind we
> can be, regarding our own personal slumps and grinds. Blocked, caged and
> fragile, imagine that door as a quivering person unable to shift or move
> beyond one's own situation in respect of social construction - or
> perhaps it's just an ace, straight forward piece of work :-)
>
> marc

Thanks - for me there's a pastiness in the color, a discomfort that
reminds me of something far too sweet. And I agree with you here.

The original image was a window from a shopping center that's part of a
new development here in Brooklyn that people are fighting. It represents
both skin and the blank face of corporate America; the developer,
appropriately named Ratner, is trying to seize adjacent buildings by
public domain. This has generally been disallowed, but with an increas-
ingly corporate climate, chances are he'll succeed.

But there's also that feeling of paste...

- Alan