[NetBehaviour] accident of art book

james at jwm-art.net james at jwm-art.net
Sun Nov 26 19:49:03 CET 2006

Ken,
I looked again at your blog and realised I imagined the differences
between the paintings.

I think the Accident of Art book was better than the impression I gave
earlier. But their lack of awareness of the free software movement for
me was a glaring ommission. Even if free/libre/opensource/etc software
did not exist when they conversed about it (but consider how they talk
about Bill Gates), it still should have been acknowledged, even if as
just a footnote, IMHO.

It gives the wrong impression to those with little interest in computers,
strengthening the message there is no alternative. These days, the free
software movement is massive - half the internet runs on it. Software
made by individual programmers (grouping together), aswell as artists
writing their own programs, does, for me atleast, everything I need and
want it to. With Linux et al you can get right into it's core, probably
much further inside than Paul Virilio and Sylvère Lotringer could
probably imagine. It does all the things they criticise the technology
for lacking.

James.