[NetBehaviour] new work: 100 Bricks

james at jwm-art.net james at jwm-art.net
Tue Oct 17 04:46:01 CEST 2006

You may recall I mentioned in one of the "Painting is hard " posts that
I might write about how painting might be incorporated into net art?
Well obviously that writing never appeared, but the idea hovered around
in the back of my mind...

This is what I've come up with, something of a toy really:

100 Bricks

 = Conceptual Art + Fine Art + Net Art

This work arose from wondering around the internet, in the kind of places
which discuss art theory, net art, and why conceptual art sucks (sic).
The previous month I briefly pondered how painting could be used in net
art. So this work was suddenly inspired by the meeting of three seperate
artistic areas, conceptual art, net art, and fine art. The idea is quite
simple: An image from my website is chosen at random, and from that
image 100 bricks are constructed to show random areas of the image. Some
of the arangements are quite pleasing to the eye.

http://www.jwm-art.net/jwm-art_page.php?view=100bricks

I've since found out Carl Andres Equivalent VIII consisted of 120 bricks
and not 100, gutted.

James.