[NetBehaviour] How Dare You Make My Content More Valuable!

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Oct 25 13:55:50 CEST 2006

How Dare You Make My Content More Valuable!
from the it's-not-so-tricky dept

Perhaps it's not that surprising, but it's a bit upsetting to still see
so many people having difficulty with the idea that having others
increase the value of your content is a good thing. There are the
obvious cases, such as the entertainment industry lawsuits against sites
and services that help promote their content. Or, publishers and authors
suing Google over their book scanning project that basically will create
a tremendous card catalog for books that is already helping to drive
more sales. Earlier this year, in looking at some of these cases, it
seemed that the only way to make sense of them was to chalk it up to
jealousy. These other services were generally making some money
themselves, but they were doing so by making others' content more
valuable. That should be a win-win for everyone. After all, they weren't
charging the original content owner to make his or her content more
valuable, but just doing so on their own -- and therefore there should
be nothing at all wrong with them monetizing that value for themselves.
The payout to the content owner is increased anyway.

more...
http://techdirt.com/articles/20061023/140659.shtml