[NetBehaviour] beta rss driven visualiser (needs feedback)

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Sep 6 18:09:35 CEST 2006

Hi Jason,

Vanishing point http://www.low-fi.org.uk/vanishingpoint/ as a work
conceptually and f

"his database driven map of the world “reveals how international news
media is creating new cartography”. The huge scale of the human and
political dramas surrounding the recent landfall of hurricanes Katrina
and then Rita have driven a new level of intensity in the hunt for
up-to-the-moment news via the Internet, television screens, and newspapers.

With the mass adoption of blogging (writing personal on-line
chronicles), those that make history and those who tell it are starting
to converge. Bloggers, declaring their own take on situations as they
occur around the world, can challenge to a degree, the information
pouring from large corporate media, but still the dominant voices tend
to reflect the interests of the powerful. The mediation and retelling of
current events (our histories whether political, social or theoretical)
within digital space, offers an endless field for exploration by the
contemporary artist. All representation is re-interpretation, thus we
are caught up in the messy and confusing noise of intentions and
questions about who it is that is informing us of what and why.

Mauricio Arango addresses these perplexing issues with an elegant
intelligence. Vanishing Point uses Flash 7 for its interface, PHP and
MySQL for its dynamic database and takes the content for its news search
from RSS feeds (automatically syndicated news) from selected on-line
newspapers of the G7 countries (that’s the G8 minus Russia). From the
Internet this net artwork is projected onto the wall, throwing an image
measuring about 6 x 8 feet. A mouse allows you to interact with the work
and other people in the gallery can watch your journey around the map.

If there is a criticism of this intensely thoughtful and beautifully
executed work, it is the apparent redundancy of the additional physical
installation of the work. Against the wall facing the projection is a
reading desk and two piles of daily UK newspapers, The Guardian and the
Times, presumably offering a resource for the audience to explore a more
local perspective on the world news for the duration of the exhibition.
This feels like an attempt to justify its installation in physical
space. But while the web work can be viewed just as easily through your
browser at home, the scale of the projected work and the social
interaction fully justifies its presence in a gallery space.

This navigable world map, interrogates one’s own, socially constructed,
sense of global perspective to re-evaluate previous assumptions, and to
acknowledge statistical inaccuracies that lead to the partiality of our
info-landscape. It challenges the homogenization of ideas around global
info-access and the objectivity of the 4th estate. It successfully
presents the clearest demonstration of the first world-view as
persistently blind in one eye."

http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=157 -
collaborative text by marc garrett & ruth catlow.

Furtherfield - http://www.furtherfield.org
HTTP - http://www.http.uk.net
Node.London - http://www.nodel.org