[NetBehaviour] No Suit Required.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Sep 6 22:49:10 CEST 2006

No Suit Required.

Terry McBride has a maverick approach to music management:
Take care of the fans and the bands, and the business will take care of
itself.

By Jeff Howe.

Terry McBride has an idea. Another idea. A good – no, a great idea.
McBride, CEO of Nettwerk Music Group, is sitting in his Vancouver,
British Columbia, office with his local marketing staff discussing
strategy for the release of a new album by Barenaked Ladies. The
marketing departments in three other cities are conferenced in. The
conversation ping-pongs from Nascar promotions to placement in a Sims
videogame. McBride is on a roll.

"This one's a real wingdinger," he says, leaning into the speakerphone
so New York, Denver, and Los Angeles won't miss a word. "Let's give away
the ProTools files on MySpace. Vocals, guitars, drums, and bass. We'll
let the fans make their own mixes." The room falls quiet. Musicians
usually record their instruments and vocals on separate tracks; the
producer and mixer combine those tracks into a finished product. McBride
wants to make the individual files available so that amateur DJs can use
them like Lego bricks to create something all their own. The record
industry likes control. McBride is proposing unfettered chaos.

A voice from LA breaks the silence: "For the single, you mean, right?"
McBride's features screw up in concentration, then quickly expand into a
grin. "What I'm proposing," he says, "is that we make all 29 songs
available as ProTools files. In two weeks." The Internet marketers in
Vancouver look worried. "But," he adds, "we'll get the files from the
single up on MySpace by Monday." Libby White, a member of the
department, shoots McBride a skeptical look. Can they make it? McBride
asks. White sighs. "We'll make it," she says.

more...
http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.09/nettwerk_pr.html