[NetBehaviour] net.weight project recently set up by Rich White.

james at jwm-art.net james at jwm-art.net
Tue Sep 12 19:12:44 CEST 2006

I don't admit to believing what I'm about to say is in the least bit
original, nevermind.  I always feel some sense of locality from the
sites/lists/forums I habituate, sometimes in connection with my website
or email, or avatars on forums, my virtual ID then. The sense of
locality is probably entirely imaginary, but is interesting to think of
it in combination with the servers locality. Virtual local virtuality,
stretching around the world. How could you map peoples ideas of the
localness of the... --/virtual/-- ...websites they habituate, kind of
like world mapper but using something probably entirely imaginary?
Personally, I'm not even gonna try to think about that :)

There was a net art piece showing sites and/or IP addresses in the
'neighbourhood'  hosted virtually on the same server.  How could you
visualise peoples sense of the connections between sites? People are not
like googlebot or msnbot. There is always links I ignore for months on
end, and then one day a whole new corner of the net is opened up to me.
Maybe you could write a netweight ]spyware[ program to follow people
about the net and create a sculpture of netbehaviour?

james