[NetBehaviour] net.weight project recently set up by Rich White.

rich white rich at counterwork.co.uk
Tue Sep 12 20:37:22 CEST 2006

I like the combination of actual locality and virtual locality. I feel
we develop a familiarity with the systems we use - the interfaces that
particular websites present to us. when they change we feel a bit lost:
they become unfamiliar, they lose their 'local' feeling. (for example:
the company that provides my webmail recently changed hands. they've
rebranded the whole thing and at first it no longer felt like 'my'
webmail).
I think this familiarity informs the way we navigate the web. as you
said james, we are not bots and there are links we don't click on for
ages. could this be because of our individual methods of using webpages?
only using familiar devices or not feeling compelled to explore sites
that don't adhere to our sensibilities?
the fact that a server could be on the other side of the world makes no
difference to how we assess a web page, we accept that the data is right
there, in front of us, in our room. it's 'locality' depends on its
usability perhaps?

rich

http://www.counterwork.co.uk
07812444612