[NetBehaviour] Surfing anonymously has its drawbacks.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Sep 14 12:16:28 CEST 2006

Surfing anonymously has its drawbacks.

By DAVID KESMODEL.
The Wall Street Journal.

AP) - It makes some of us nervous that Google and other Web companies
are building huge collections of data about our surfing habits. But
doing something about it means dealing with a lot more inconvenience
than most of us are willing to abide by. That is what I learned in my
week of trying to be invisible, at least online.

There are several ways of surfing anonymously; the most common involves
going "stealth." The idea is to surf as you normally would, but mask the
information that could be used to discern your identity. This means
cloaking your Internet protocol address, a unique number identifying a
computer on the Web. That way, companies can't tell your PC searched on
"avoiding taxes."

Last month, after AOL leaked Web-search data from 650,000 customers,
infuriating privacy advocates, I decided to go anonymous via a program
called Anonymous Surfing. There are other anonymizing programs, such as
Tor. Their users include, besides privacy-conscious surfers, undercover
detectives and corporate whistleblowers.

more...
http://linkme2.net/9v