[NetBehaviour] Painting is hard

james at jwm-art.net james at jwm-art.net
Tue Sep 19 23:07:05 CEST 2006

Painting is hard
----------------

Painting is hard, that is, it don't make me a hard man just cos I paint.
It's difficult, especially when you're not as good as you think you
should be, to be an ARtist. Especially when you insist upon pursuing
some vision of a personal abstract visual language arising through
randomness, perhaps even the sub-con-shush. Especially when you spend
hours mixing up colours, getting all excited when you discover a
beautiful vibrant grey can be made by mixing a rather expensive cobalt
blue with a somewhat cheaper raw umbre, and the disappointment of it
hits you when you mix in the emulsion and find it's rather boring gray
after all.

Painting is hard when you've no idea of what to paint, but what the hell
has any of this to do with net art?

http://www.jwm-art.net/art/audio/painting_is_hard.mp3

<end>

Painting _is Hard
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Painting is difficult I mean. It's tricky working it out, what like am I
going to paint next? When you've no idea and could be thought of as
stubburn, atleast you think you could be thought of as stubburn, but
have no idea what others really think, if they think at all about what
you do, if what you do has any consequences within their thinking, you
could be thought of as stubburn for inisting upon the pursuit of the
construction of a personal abstract visual language when you don't have
any notion of what it shall actually communicate. You could be thought
of as stubburn, nay foolish, for doing so. By your refusual to make
paintings which are purely for selling, because doing so lacks any
interest to you, and your interest lacks in painting because you don't
know what to paint, you are. It is at times like these that

http://www.jwm-art.net/art/audio/painting_is_hard.mp3

<end>

Painting^ is ^hard
`='`='`='`='`='`='

Painting is hard when you are scared of it. You're scared of messing up
what you've already painted, even when you imagine it looks like a mess
to everyone else anyway. You're scared of the unknown, and painting can
be an exploration into the unknown when you can paint nothing else but
your own instincts of what to paint. It's scary when you paint
something and later look at it, knowing full well you'll put it on the
internet for all to see, and all you see is a beacon for crazies to come
after you. A beacon for demons from outer space to come eat up your
consciousness and take over your body. Oh! Hang on, that was just a
fancy, it weren't real, thank GOD.

Yes, it's tricky indeed this painting lark. Here is an mp3 of some
electronic music I made, all by myself, during these times when I feel
painting is hard. It is for your listening pleasure, the sounds are
lovely phat synths, and some slightly muffled drums. There's a little
cutting up of the drum sequences, and of course, the favourite of all
amateur electronica music makers, the reverb. The reverb is on everthing
I do, because my mind is full of reverb, nnmnmnmnmnm.

http://www.jwm-art.net/art/audio/painting_is_hard.mp3

Don't forget, painting is hard, especially when you've got no clue.

"but what the hell has any of this to do with net art?"

I'm probably misplaced on this list, only being a pretend net-artist,
but I like what is posted here, and feel inclined from time to time to
post this or that :)