[NetBehaviour] Painting is hard

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Fri Sep 22 15:06:32 CEST 2006

Hi james,

 >I've not been ignoring your message, just taken me a while to come up
 >with a reply.

No probs - it is not easy to maintain a constant dialogue when there is
so much happening generally. I find that I am under a constant pressure
to answer so many different emails each day that some just fall through
the net and some might think that I am not answering deliberately when
really - life is just so hectic nad busy...

Am I correct that your mp3 is silent? Because I could not hear any sound
- it could be my linux system is playing up, it does sometimes...

 >Had a quick look at your drawings, some are very
 >surrealist inspired by the looks of things, having similiarities to the
 >work of Francis Picabia.  I've drawn quite a few images like that of
 >human/object constructions, but not always had the guts to show them!
 >(online atleast, not exhibited any of my work at all.)

Along side doing all of the networked (digital) artwork/activites from
the late eighties, I have always maintained keeping a hand in drawing
and painting - even though much of it has not been exhibited or publicly
seen. Much of the reason for not showing the work is more to do with
that I enjoy the process of making it physically and enjoy the process
and what I discover out of it emotionally, but may not necessarily want
it to be shown, in an art context - due to it having its own reasons for
being. Personal space-mappings.

I have piles of sketch books - piles of writings that nay not see the
light of day, but I am happy about that. I do not feel that everything
that one creates has to be seen, some of it is inner dialogue stuff,
that in time may be let out according to how one feels at the time.

marc

Furtherfield - http://www.furtherfield.org
HTTP - http://www.http.uk.net
Node.London - http://www.nodel.org