[NetBehaviour] Painting is hard

Mark Hancock mark at memecortex.net
Sun Sep 24 15:05:30 CEST 2006

Hi,

I think that's a very good point. That sometimes work is just about
mapping personal space. I wonder sometimes, particularly when one is
a new artist, that we aren't always rushing ahead to try to produce a
piece of work or a project that can be sold/exhibited/given to our
Nan without understanding why we're doing it in the first place? It
might be called the Dragon's Den, approach to Art making? If you get
my drift?

I have a box full of Super 8 films that I've made that may never see
the light of day, and similarly with some paintings (although some do
hang in my hallway - my nan didn't want any of them - the bitch!) But
what I've learnt about them, in the making is to think about the
artistic process itself. Particularly as someone who writes more
about art than makes it. It matters that I know what it's like to
'do' some work as well as blah blah on about it all the time.

Cheers

Mark