[NetBehaviour] Do virtual worlds liberate us?

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sun Dec 2 15:39:22 CET 2007

Do virtual worlds liberate us?

Ren Reynolds

I’m wondering what TN reader’s view is of the trajectory of the
intersection of virtual worlds and what some term the political economy
is. In short do we think that the practices associated virtual worlds
are tending towards liberating us or are acting as just another way for
dominant ideologies to be re-enforced?

It seems to me that in many ways virtual worlds are the ultimate
expression of consumerism. Game worlds construct new needs which the
use-value of virtual artefacts meet and new forms of labour are
constructed to enable us to gain them.

Both game worlds and social worlds, in their different ways, can also
act as a pure mechanism for symbolic-value exchange through the
mechanism of virtual goods. For example: a virtual Gucci bag may have no
use-value what so ever in a virtual world but it carries with it much of
the symbolic value of the brand.

In general virtual worlds seem often to replicate structures of labour
and production – they even support a class hierarchies based on
geography, contextual knowledge, time in the given community etc.

At the same time virtual worlds offer the promise of liberating us. Not
quite in the old utopian ideal of freeing us fully from pre-existing
notions of self but at least opening up new opportunities for
self-exploration. What’s more should you have access to a virtual world
the barrier between roles of consumption and production seems to have
been lowered such that both within the context of a virtual space e.g.
as a crafter or builder in second life; or outside it, say as a fan fic
creator, many can participate in a mixed traditional, amateur and / or
gift economy.

more...
http://tinyurl.com/2jl5jj