[NetBehaviour] I.B.M. System to Scan Streets at Beijing Olympics.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Dec 10 14:25:48 CET 2007

I.B.M. System to Scan Streets at Beijing Olympics.

When the 2008 Olympic Games kick off in Beijing next year, organizers
will be using a sophisticated computer system to scan video images of
city streets looking for everything from troublemakers to terrorists.

The IBM system, called the Smart Surveillance System, or S3, uses
analytic tools to index digital video recordings and then issue
real-time alerts when certain patterns are detected. It can be used to
warn security guards when someone has entered a secure area or keep
track of cars coming in and out of a parking lot.

Beijing's S3 network is already being rolled out and is expected to be
operational by the time the Games begin in August 2008, said Julie
Donahue, vice president of security and privacy services with IBM.

Terrorists have used the Olympic spotlight to grab international
attention for their causes, and at next year's event terrorism will be
the top security concern, Beijing officials have said.

That means that IBM's S3 system could end up being tested in a very
public fashion.

"I was at the Kennedy School (of Government at Harvard University) a
couple of weeks ago, and some guy got up and said, "If there's a
security incident at the Beijing Olympics, it's going to change the
course of capitalism forever," and I'm like, 'Oh man!'" Donahue said.

more...
http://tinyurl.com/ywlsy2