[NetBehaviour] Perhaps a way of teaching media

james jwm-art net james at jwm-art.net
Thu Dec 13 20:34:16 CET 2007

When I was at university, studying fine art, "Professional" advice was
the most difficult thing for me to accept, listen to and take in. I
think partly because my belief "Students find their own paths" as you
said in point 3.

I felt that because I had been 'making art' long before university,
that I would continue afterwards and therefor success was inevitable and
so _I_ did not need to listen to "Professional" advice which seemed to
be de-motivating because it made what I thought should not be about
money, all about money.

At that time all I wanted to do was paint (having not then come to see
programming and other things that I do just as important to me).

What can you do about people who think they know better than experienced
professionals making a living from their art. People who just let it all
down to chance? People who act like they're falling through a tree and
hoping they'll land on a lucky branch?

Probably best left to get on with it?

I saw incidently, via Rob Myers post "Digital Artists Need Our
Support", in the comments, an artist speaking about having worked in
crappy jobs for twenty years (one of which like I, in the NHS - such
that I see things like wards closing at the same time as the Trust HQ
getting several hundred brand new computers but that's beside the
point).

13 years and counting...