[NetBehaviour] GLASGOW'S RADICAL INDEPENDENT BOOK-FAIR PROJECT

marc.garrett at furtherfield.org marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Nov 27 13:47:14 CET 2007

GLASGOW'S RADICAL INDEPENDENT BOOK-FAIR PROJECT

DEC 15th - CCA - 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

12am - 10pm -- free entry

stalls / resources / videotheque / events

- stalls & resources in Resource Space (ground floor next to cafe)

- related events in CCA 4 (cinema space)

for more info on RIB and a full set of links go to:
http://www.ribproject.org

Within Britain, Scotland and specifically Glasgow there are fewer and
fewer outlets for independent and radical materials. Corporate bookshops
rule the roost and offer little in the way of counter culture, radical
voices or local independent materials. The Radical Independent Book-fair
project (RIB) has come about to help redress this imbalance...
RIB is a support structure for a number of individuals and groups who
produce publications, information and materials for sale, view and free
distribution. The project is self-financed by the participants, no
public or corporate monies are involved, no one takes a wage, it is not
party politically aligned and is autonomous from other organisations.
The project is not just an occasional bookshop and travelling
bookstall... it is also a temporary library, a videotheque, a meeting
point for distribution, discussion and ideas, as well as a place to come
and have a blether.

...supporting small press publishers and independent
producers...circulating radical reading materials and information...

RIB - DEC 15th - EVENTS - CCA

RESOURCE SPACE
12.30pm - 1.00pm
Book Launch Event
BROTH MIX
BROTH MIX RECIPE BOOK
Launch of the recipe book from the Broth Mix project that took place in
the Intermedia Gallery, Oct 07 with a slideshow of what took place.
Followed by a gathering of all those who got involved and anyone else
who is interested in contributing to what might come next.

CCA4
1.00pm - 2.30pm
Discussion Event
GLASGOW ANARCHISTS.
ANARCHISM, POLITICS AND DIRECT ACTION.
Glasgow Anarchists will be having a discussion about Anarchism, Politics
and Direct Action.

CCA4
2.30pm - 4.00pm
Film Event
UNIVERSITY of BUEA STUDENTS.
STANDING WITH THE STUDENTS.
Since the spring of 2005, students of the University of Buea,
challenging a 10-year illegitimate ban on all forms of protest, have
been striking to request basic rights and essential amenities. As usual
Cameroon forces were brought in to forcefully stop the strike. By
November 2006, the forces had shot and killed 5 students, beaten another
to death and severely injured many more. This documentary tries to tell
the story of these horrifying events.

CCA4
4.00pm - 5.30pm
Discussion Event
CITY STROLLS - BRIDGE PROJECT.
COMMON AIMS, SELF DETERMINATION AND THE RESPONSIBILITY OF ASSOCIATION.
On the "practicalities" of working and cooperating with each other in
the movement for change.
Taken from the idea that the work of radical groups, or whatever we want
to call ourself, is to expand the base for a working class movement for
change. At present we have the building blocks in various specialities,
and all the ingredients to mix the cement. We seem to lack the
commonality and vision of what it is we want to do, or hope to build.
How do we discover if what we are doing can be done better, more
effectively? How do we reach the wider audience not just the converted?
Why does the wheel get regularly reinvented - the same problems crop up
continuously? What has happened to the common dream that could shape the
architecture of our collective endeavour? And most importantly, how do
we encourage self determination in our communities?

CCA4
5.30pm - 7.00pm
Discussion Event
INDUSTRIAL WORKERS OF THE WORLD.
IWW AND GRASSROOTS WORKPLACE ORGANISING.
Radical organising as healthworkers. A history, current issues and a
vision for the future. All welcome.

CCA4
7.00pm - 8.30pm
Book Launch Event
DES FERNANDES.
'THE KURDISH AND ARMENIAN GENOCIDES: FROM CENSORSHIP AND DENIAL TO
RECOGNITION?'
Writer Desmond Fernandes will be discussing some of the issues contained
within his latest book.
This book examines the manner in which Armenian genocide denialism is
questionably promoted by the governments of Turkey, the US, UK and
Israel, as well as by various lobbies in Israel, the US and Turkey. It
also confronts an issue that has been largely ignored by the British and
US mainstream media and by mainstream British/US academic and political
circles – that of the “Kurdish genocide in Turkey”. The problem of
censorship is also charted. Published by Apec Press (Stockholm) 2008.

CCA4
8.30pm - 10.00pm
Book Event
'NEW LABOUR / HARD LABOUR - RESTRUCTURING AND RESISTANCE INSIDE THE
WELFARE INDUSTRY', by ALEX LAW and GERRY MOONEY.
Alex Law will introduce his recently published book and highlight some
of important questions it raises.
"This timely collection illuminates a very important aspect of the New
Labour regime - its tough and often hostile approach to workers within
the welfare state. This has received scant attention from social
scientists, but this book provides an expert and critical survey across
a wide range of the salient issues with an appropriate emphasis on
workers' resistance." Norman Ginsburg, London Metropolitan University.

Donate - financial support towards the continuance of Variant is very
much appreciated.

Advertise - 15,000 copies are freely distributed each issue with the
help of over 420 arts, cultural, and educational spaces throughout the
UK & Ireland.

Variant, ISSUE 31 - Spring 2008
Advertising Copy Date: Monday 4th February
Publication Date: Monday 25th February
Covers: March '08 to & including May '08

email: variantads at btinternet.com
http://www.variant.org.uk/ads.html

Variant shows that there is a real need & desire for a magazine with the
independence to be critical that addresses cultural issues in their
broader social & political contexts, promoting debate within cultural
areas which are otherwise ignored, hidden, suppressed or censored.
Highly praised for this cross-disciplinary approach, there have simply
been no other attempts to freely distribute a magazine of such high
quality, critical content & to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Variant
1/2 189b Maryhill Road
Glasgow, G20 7XJ
+44 (0)141 333 9522