[NetBehaviour] Netart 2.0 is not net.art

Bootymachine bootymachine at bootymachine.net
Tue Apr 1 19:20:05 CEST 2008

Hello. Thanks Pall for your manifesto and your explanation.
I on my part do not agree at all with your manifesto.
Let me explain point by point, hopefully it'll be constructive and
interactive ;)

> Netart 2.0 is not net.art
Do you mean net art? web art? internet art? When I read the following
text, I get the feeling you understand the creative net started with
the web. There have been works done before (e.g. using news groups and
FirstClass communities), and these well before 1991 and I feel the
distinction is necessary for the coherence of a manifesto that would
speak to novice but also old-timers. The web's just the tip of the
history of online art and I am not sure I understand well what you are
focusing on. When you speak about casual internet users, I believe you
mean web, and mass-media-like consumers. But then again you state in a
further point that: 'Netart 2.0 is not dependent upon The World Wide
Web'. I'm a bit stuck there in the comprehension of your text.

> Netart 2.0 is dynamic
By that I understand you mean the content is dynamically generated
acording to both the human and the machine context, giving life to a
creative avatar. Again, it seems essential to me that if you're
speaking of the web, since the early years net art was dynamic. In
fact it was already before the web, thought there weren't as many
viewers-consumers to check it out and the communities where more
focused and less generalist. It is true the trend is towards more than
an simple html web page collection including hyperlinks, but this
doesn't seem enough to define a second generation of net art, or at
least not like that.

> Netart 2.0 cannot function without an active network connection
I don't understand how you can talk about net art without the net. You
may have a representation of net art that is disconnected but it will
just be that, a passive representation of net art and not net art. I
believe you might misunderstand net art 1.0 as software art or
multimedia.

> Netart 2.0 may or may not be interactive

In my understanding net art requires a network to be, therefore an
interaction between at least two entities (human or machine). I
believe the term 'viewer' needs a better definition for your
manifesto. Also,on the internet there is required interaction as it is
a fundamental of even the earliest web pages (hypertext).
Interactivity is what generated net art.

> Netart 2.0 may or may not be accessible on-line
Do you mean there can be an offline network for net art to exist? And
does the real-world correspond to this new environment for net art
2.0? (I have a small definition of web 3.0 as 'the biological, digital
analog web where information is made of a plethora of digital values
coalesced for sense and linked to the real-world by analog interfaces'
on http://www.zzz.ch/bootymachine/web3.0/  , maybe it can relate to
this, I'd be happy to get your feedback).

> Netart 2.0 is not science
Here, I don't understand why and how you can exclude the science in
net art (or online art). Basically working with media protocols to put
the work online already induces a bias in the work that just doesn't
make it artist-only-created. All who creates using these tools know
what the limitations inherent to protocols can do to the creative
process, and to me it is part science not to be random noise (even if
it is beautiful noise). My personal view is that you can simply not
say that of any net art, as there is automatically some part of
science in the use of language.

Finally, I just want to say I really don't see much in your manifesto
that defines 'newness' from what net art is (I mean v1.0). Most of
what you state was already there since a long time, but it is true
most casual-viewers' online experience dates only from a few years at
max. Maybe there should first be a manifesto to better define net art
1.0 ?

Thanks again for your thoughts, the discussion is indeed very
interesting!
:)

Bootymachine www.bootymachine.net
experimental groove experiment