[NetBehaviour] New Thursday Club with Kate Pullinger & Chris Joseph (Goldsmiths)

Maria Chatzichristodoulou drp01mc at gold.ac.uk
Tue Apr 22 19:35:58 CEST 2008

** NEW THURSDAY CLUB ** NEW THURSDAY CLUB **

Supported by the Goldsmiths GRADUATE SCHOOL and the Goldsmiths DIGITAL
STUDIOS

6pm until 8pm, Seminar Rooms at Ben Pimlott Building (Ground Floor,
right), Goldsmiths, University of London, New Cross, SE14 6NW

FREE, ALL ARE WELCOME. No booking required.

*24 APRIL with KATE PULLINGER & CHRIS JOSEPH
:
Flight Paths: a networked book*

"I have finished my weekly supermarket shop, stocking up on provisions for
my three kids, my husband, our dog and our cat.  I push the loaded trolley
across the car park, battling to keep its wonky wheels on track.  I pop
open the boot of my car and then for some reason, I have no idea why, I
look up, into the clear blue autumnal sky.  And I see him.  It takes me a
long moment to figure out what I am looking at.  He is falling from the
sky.  A dark mass, growing larger quickly.  I let go of the trolley and am
dimly aware that it is getting away from me but I can’t move, I am stuck
there in the middle of the supermarket car park, watching, as he hurtles
toward the earth.  I have no idea how long it takes – a few seconds, an
entire lifetime – but I stand there holding my breath as the city goes
about its business around me until

He crashes into the roof of my car."

The car park of Sainsbury’s supermarket in Richmond, southwest London,
lies directly beneath one of the main flight paths into Heathrow Airport.
Over the last decade, on at least five separate occasions, the bodies of
young men have fallen from the sky and landed on or near this car park.
All these men were stowaways on flights from the Indian subcontinent who
had believed that they could find a way into the cargo hold of an airplane
by climbing up into the airplane wheel shaft.  No one can survive this
journey. “Flight Paths” seeks to explore what happens when lives collide –
the airplane stowaway and the fictional suburban London housewife, quoted
above.   This project will tell their stories; it will be a work of
digital fiction, a networked book, created on and through the internet.
The project will include a web iteration that opens up the research
process to the outside world, inviting discussion of the large array of
issues the project touches on.

Questions raised by this project include: what are the possibilities for
new narrative forms? How do we “write to be seen” or “write to be heard”
when creating multimedia narratives, and can we imagine writing to be
smelled, tasted, felt? What are the effects of collective authorship
across multiple forms?

KATE PULLINGER works both in print and new media.  Her most recent novels
include A Little Stranger (2006) and Weird Sister (1999).  Her current
digital fiction projects include her collaboration with Chris Joseph
(babel) on 'Inanimate Alice', a multimedia episodic digital fiction and
'Venus Redemption', a game for female casual gamers.  Pullinger is Reader
in Creative Writing and New Media at De Montfort University.

CHRIS JOSEPH is a digital writer and artist who has created solo and
collaborative work as babel. His past projects include 'Inanimate Alice'
(with Kate Pullinger), an award-winning series of multimedia stories; 'The
Breathing Wall' (with Kate Pullinger and Stefan Schemat), a digital novel;
and 'Animalamina', a collection of interactive multimedia poetry for
children. He is editor of the post-dada magazine and network 391.org, and
a founding member of The 404, a network of artists. He is currently
Digital Writer in Residence at De Montfort University, Leicester.
--

*8 MAY with CAMILLE BAKER & MARILENE OLIVER
:

---

*15 MAY with COLM LALLY & VERINA GFADER
:
Condensation revisited: strategic walking / access to knowledge /
economics of things / conversation pieces *

---

*29 MAY with RICHARD COLSON
:
Linking the Senses *

---

*5 JUNE with ALEX MCLEAN & DAVE GRIFFITHS
:
Live Coding*

---

THE THURSDAY CLUB is an open forum discussion group for anyone interested
in the theories and practices of cross-disciplinarity, interactivity,
technologies and philosophies of the state-of-the-art in today’s (and
tomorrow’s) cultural landscape(s).

For more information check http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/gds/events.php or
email Maria X at drp01mc at gold.ac.uk

To find Goldsmiths check http://www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/find-us/