[NetBehaviour] Review of Books I Like (and think you might too)

james jwm-art net james at jwm-art.net
Thu Feb 21 02:35:28 CET 2008

>The Embodied Mind, Cognitive Science and Human Experience, Francisco
>J.
>Varela, Evan Thompson, and Eleanor Rosch, MIT, 1991. I hadn't seen
>this
>before; Sandy Baldwin pointed it out to me. It discusses mind and
>self
>with an approach based both on Madhyamika philosophy and cog sci and
>should be read by anyone interested in the topic. Again, highly
>recommended; I'd been looking for this kind of approach for a long
>time.
>The last sentence is prescient: "At the very least, the journey of
>Buddhism to the west provides some of the resources we need to pursue
>consistently our own cultural and scientific premises to the point
>where
>we no longer need and desire foundations and so can take up the
>further
>tasks of building and dwelling in worlds without ground."

Hi,

c&p from amazon.co.uk review:
"This ranks up there with Chogyam Trungpa's books for clearly presented
insights. Trunpa's genius is making Buddhist ideas come alive for
Western readers by clearly presenting Buddhist ideas in everyday terms.
This book is a wonderful addition to the same delicious feast, building
a bridge from Eastern mindfulness/awareness traditions to Western
scientific thought. The effect is to improve our understanding of both.
Very powerful and thought-provoking. Each page is like a meal. Hungry?
Chew this one slowly and enjoy every bite!"

would you agree with this? specifically, how accessible to the
non-academic might this book be? it was your mention of the last
sentance which sparked my interest.

Cheers,
james.