[NetBehaviour] The Annals of Significant Failure.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Feb 27 02:36:12 CET 2008

The Annals of Significant Failure.

Revolutionary critique in dismal times, largely derived from
situationist theory.

A discussion with Ken Knabb.

The reflections on 2007 that Wayne Spencer sent to Ken Knabb on 18
January 2008 led to a discussion between us. The following are the texts
of their postings to date.

1) Ken Knabb to Wayne Spencer, 18 January 2008

Thanks for your message. I did not mind its lengthiness since it was all
very interesting and well thought out and expressed. I suggest that you
add it to your blog, slightly revised so as to refer to me in the third
person (or if you prefer, left as is and presented as a "Letter to Ken
Knabb"). It raises a lot of key issues on a lot of fronts, and might
well help to sort out your relations with various people you know or
have collaborated with in some of the projects you discuss.

Regarding your remarks on my post-Notice activities, you are no doubt
partially right. On the other hand, I'm not sure that this is an
either-or question. Meditation can indeed have some of the dubious
aspects you mention, but it can also (or even at the same time) be a
worthwhile venture for its own sake. Ditto folk music, rock climbing, or
just about any other sort of art, sport, "spiritual" path, etc. It is
possible to criticize such activities insofar as they contain illusions
about themselves, but exclusively stressing such critiques sometimes
becomes rather silly when the critiquers find that they have painted
themselves into a corner where they hesitate to engage in anything
whatsoever because virtually any sort of activity could be seen as
representing some sort of compromise or cooption. I have indeed to some
extent "stepped back from a critical examination of the development of
contemporary alienation (and the resistance to it)", mostly because many
of the manifestations of such resistance have never interested me.
Rather than burn myself out arguing about things that I find obnoxious
or boring, I find it more pleasant to do (and talk about) things that I
find engaging.

more...
http://tinyurl.com/yucrs5