[NetBehaviour] Driven- a dilemma of coexistence - by Marc Garrett and Ruth Catlow

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Mar 10 11:06:47 CET 2008

Hi Dave,

Getting back into making the stuff again, is opening up many
possibilities. I think that what is freeing things up much more for us
these days is that we actually do not need to do it as an art form
officially, and definitely not in response to any curatorial or
theoretical dialogue. Not that we ever did anyway -  but culturally
there is less pressure to perform to other people's agendas. We can just
get on with it and explore.

The dialogue here is between Ruth and myself, the technology and the
content and whoever wishes to experience it. Thus, no top down concepts
anymore - they are up for grabs (creatively) which is great, and it also
gives us a chance to explore themes and issues that relate to our
personal lives, and hopefully with others who may know these ideas and
experiences, from their own contexts. Such as yourself with the traffic
in London, which this work highlights.

In the car, Ruth is the driver and I am a passenger and I am a terrible
passenger, always commenting on Ruth's driving or situations as they
happen. I actually have not learned to drive yet. Ruth is a very good
driver and is tolerant of my side-quips.

I think that the theme initially tries to bring people into the work as
a starting point and then as you stay with it a bit more, deeper things
happen. This may not necessarily be immediately explainable, but through
visiting it again one becomes more connected to ambiance of the piece
and different levels of nuance, or whatever it is.

 >I like the simplicity of this as well - focussing on expressing the
idea and not on sophisticated technology.

I think that the mysteriousness around the use of technology in art and
the kind of macho tech-fetish that many organizations have over
promoted, has had a dis-empowering effect on the culture of media art
(or whatever we call it). I want to get back to the roots again. For me,
it is not about how powerful or clever one is with the medium, it's the
craft, the skill, the content and art as a whole. What I mean by this is
that, to be seen by these organizations media platforms, it seems as
though the work itself must have a large budget, or to of been promoted
via a certain institution, or a top media art theorist. Which is not
always a bad thing, but what is wrong is if these type of projects are
given more credence over less supported works that perhaps did not need
any funding etc...

If you look at various platforms, who are (supposedly) supporting
(media) art, you will notice that many of the projects are funded by
MIT, or creative industry, and the small guy making the work on their
own terms are not given as much space at the moment. This is because a
new hegemony is taking over and the voice of the art-maker is being
pushed out. (We) I think that this is unhealthy and we need to grab back
our art culture now, and begin again and reclaim our creative noise. And
in starting to make the work again means that we can become part of a
hopefully growing and expanding group of artists who are connected in
some way.

It's the Art Stupid!!!

The above is what I tell myself over and over again now...

Thanks Dave.

marc