[NetBehaviour] UK Police Want DNA of 'Potential Offenders.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Mon Mar 17 02:33:21 CET 2008

UK Police Want DNA of 'Potential Offenders.

Put young children on DNA list, urge police.

'We must target potential offenders'
Teachers' fury over 'dangerous' plan.

Primary school children should be eligible for the DNA database if they
exhibit behaviour indicating they may become criminals in later life,
according to Britain's most senior police forensics expert.

Gary Pugh, director of forensic sciences at Scotland Yard and the new
DNA spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said
a debate was needed on how far Britain should go in identifying
potential offenders, given that some experts believe it is possible to
identify future offending traits in children as young as five.

'If we have a primary means of identifying people before they offend,
then in the long-term the benefits of targeting younger people are
extremely large,' said Pugh. 'You could argue the younger the better.
Criminologists say some people will grow out of crime; others won't. We
have to find who are possibly going to be the biggest threat to society.'

more...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/16/youthjustice.children