[NetBehaviour] Open Call for Art Biological Imperative

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Mar 26 17:33:13 CET 2008

Open Call for Art Biological Imperative

Artists working in any and all media are invited to submit existing
work, or propose new work, in response to any of the following:

Things that just won't die, multiples, fecundity, regeneration,
splicing, graft, hybridization,  do it yourself genetic
testing kits, "she's not my sister she's my daughter", "one drop," 3/5
of a person, genetically modified foods, bio art, the prosecution of
bio artists, the undead, the semi-living, Jonestown, the elderly woman
who got a DNR order tattooed on her chest, the undying popularity of
zombie films, Scopolamine, and of course, well, bunny rabbits.

Please find the following opportunity.

OPEN CALL: Biological Imperative
Deadline 15 April 2008

Gallery Aferro
Newark NJ USA
www.aferro.org

Biological Imperative curated by Emma Wilcox
on display June 14-July 26, 2008, with full color catalog

Artists working in any and all media are invited to submit existing
work, or propose new work, in response to any of the following:

Things that just won't die, multiples, fecundity, regeneration,
splicing, graft, hybridization,  do it yourself genetic
testing kits, "she's not my sister she's my daughter", "one drop," 3/5
of a person, genetically modified foods, bio art, the prosecution of
bio artists, the undead, the semi-living, Jonestown, the elderly woman
who got a DNR order tattooed on her chest, the undying popularity of
zombie films, Scopolamine, and of course, well, bunny rabbits.

Blackhorromovies.com, according to its creator, Mark H. Harris," is
the culmination of my life experiences as a black horror movie fan:
seeing hundreds of black people stabbed, chopped up, and eviscerated
without so much as a "rest in peace" or even a "sorry, my bad," and
finding scant acknowledgment of the role of black people in horror
films (Zombies anyone?)"

The Tissue Culture & Art Project is a collective dealing with "serious
ethical questions regarding a near future when objects that are partly
alive and partly constructed exist, and when animal organs will be
transplanted into humans. What kind of relationships we will form with
such objects? How are we going to treat animals with human DNA?"

In 1965's "How to Explain Pictures to a Dead Hare" Joseph Beuys held a
dead hare in his arms and walked around an art gallery talking about
art to the animal. Rabbits function as food, pest and pet for humans,
and symbolize something that dies again and again, only to be reborn.

All submissions to:

Please email work to submit.aferro at gmail.com

or mail work to
Emma Wilcox + Evonne Davis
Gallery Aferro
248 Sherman Ave #43
NY NY 10034 USA

Submissions due April 15.
Notification of acceptance by May 1.
Delivery by May 24.
Materials for catalog may be requested earlier than work delivery.